Voting

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Elastic Thread Smocking (Shirring)

I can't for the life of me find the source of help I had found for doing the elastic thread shirring on my Brother 2002D ULT but I do have some pictures that will hopefully help you to learn how the threading has to be done.  (1) wind the elastic bobbin by hand with minimal stretching (2) put the bobbin in, hook it into the bobbin tension but DO NOT follow the normal bobbin thread path, lay the "tail" up as you see in the first picture (3) "pick up" the bobbin thread by dropping the threaded needle down and up again to pull up the bobbin thread as in picture two.  (you will likely need to use tweezers or something to grab the elastic thread to pull all the way up)   I sure hope this helps and I will post the link if I ever get my hands on it again!  Remember when using the elastic thread to not use the "scissors" on the machine but cut the thread yourself leaving a nice tail to tie off or either sew into your seam so it won't unravel.  I didn't try backstitching but many do and I will likely try it at some point.  ALSO, I did read not to count on a serged seam to hold the elastic alone.  I sure hope this helps and I will post the link if I ever get my hands on it again!

No comments:

Post a Comment